Introduce An Eco-Friendly Workspace
By Kathy Fediw, LEED AP, CLP, CLT | April 20, 2011 | topics: Eco-friendly Office Tips Want to be more eco-friendly at work? We all try to do a few different items to reduce our carbon footprints and enhance our lives. We all strive to be just a little more earth friendly and make a few small changes each year. Here’s our favorite tips for greening your office space:
“Did you know that the ordinary office plant can rid the air of harmful toxins, improve your health and make you more productive? It’s true…”
- A plant for every office. Did you know that the ordinary office plant can rid the air of harmful toxins, improve your health and make you more productive? It’s true and there are over 20 research studies to prove it. You don’t need a jungle, the most recent research shows that one plant per 160 square feet of office space (about the size of an average office) is all you need, provided the plant is at least in an 8” growing pot (a large desk plant or small floor plant.) You could also use 3 or more tabletop plants to get the same results.
- Bring in your own coffee cup. You can cut down on the Styrofoam and plastic cups and bottles that fill our landfills by using your own cup. Not practical? Switch to recyclable paper cups instead. Which brings us to our next tip:
- Recycle! Most urban areas and commercial buildings now have recycling programs, so set up those bins and get cracking. Nearly 90% of all office waste can be recycled.
- Use products made from recycled materials. Recycled office paper is easy to find, as well as recycled paper towels, etc. More products are being made from recycled products so keep your eyes opened. Look for products with a high amount of post-consumer recycled material.
- Open the blinds and turn off the overhead lights. If your office has windows, turn off your overhead lights and use natural day-lighting instead. Use task lighting at your desk if you need more light. You’ll save energy and enjoy the view! Close the blinds over the weekend and at night to help moderate the temperature and cut down on energy use.
- Own the building? Use native plants and xeriscaping to cut down on irrigation water and grounds maintenance. Your landscaping company will be glad to help you with a more eco-friendly design. Set up a bird-friendly area with a water source and berry- or nut-producing plants while you’re at it.
- Switch to fair trade coffee and tea. Your favorite beverage can be grown in an eco-friendly manner, no matter what part of the globe it originates, and one in which local laborers are paid a fair wage for an honest day’s work. Just what you’d want for your own family, right?
- Kick the habit. Smoking, that is. Smoking releases all kinds of cancer-causing toxins into the air, let alone what it does to your own set of lungs. You know it’s bad for you, but it’s also bad for everyone else in your office. Besides, we know you’ve been wanting to quit, haven’t you?!
“Use native plants and xeriscaping to cut down on irrigation water and grounds maintenance. Your landscaping company will be glad to help you with a more eco-friendly design.”
Adding Plants to Your Work Place with Plant Solutions
Whether you are looking for a wall of greenery, mosswallart, a plant wall, holiday plant solutions, or other horticulture needs, we can help you add a greener atmosphere to your environment. Here are a few of our services and a brief explanation of what that means.
- Design and installation of plant lifeThis could mean a wall of greenery, unusual plant types, or contemporary plant containers.
- MosswallartArtwork made to fit your vision with living mosses.
- Living Plant WallsMany variations can be achieved from herb gardens for your kitchen to succulents for a display case, we can add the beauty of living plants to any room.
- Holiday SolutionsHoliday decorating can be a real chore. We offer a package to help make your office look amazing during the holiday season.
- Various Horticultural servicesAny plant installation that we do can be maintained by our trained and uniformed staff.
As stated above there are many beneficial reasons to add living plants to any typical office area. The fresh bright colors of living plants can also add color and cheerfulness to any retail space. It has also been proven that plants in waiting areas such as doctor’s offices or hospitals give those waiting a greater since of comfort and hominess. Our teams have provided many businesses and people with beautiful plants that have made their homes and workspaces greener and better every day. If you need a plant installation for your business or home, please contact us at plantsolutions.com.
For more information on the many benefits of indoor plants, go to www.greenplantsforgreenbuildings.org.